Subject: [Leica] Re:Monster High-tech 50mm 1.4 from Sigma and everyone else
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Feb 7 22:51:13 2009

They may be urban legend or rural legend but the word was out in the 70's
that the sample variation of Nikon enlarger glass was totally consistent
while the variation of the Schneider glass was highly varied and
untrustworthy. Hence my acquiring a set of Nikon enlarging glass over those
years where I liked the way the Schneider looked better.
I never knew anyone bringing back a Nikon camera or enlarger lens because of
variability issues by the way. I blithely used every of the tens of nikon
glass I had with total confidence never thinking I might have gotten a
"lemon". I don't think ANY of my Nikon lenses were lemons and new of no
photographer in Portland that ever did I knew about a dozen pro
photographers in Portland before the internet. I've had about 40 of them
just got rid of a few with my move out here. Most are still back in Portland
though. I'd love to have them back.

Mark William Rabiner