Subject: [Leica] Monster High-tech 50mm 1.4 from Sigma and everyone else - distortion now Nikkor 28/1.4
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Feb 8 01:14:38 2009

The original f1.2 Noctilux and 35 f1.4 aspherical eash had two hand
ground aspheric surfaces. Apparently the scrap rate, and presumably
the inspection cost, was horrendous. They made very, very few of each
apparently. I have a 35 and prefer the look to the later 35mm f1.4
asph which has one moulded aspheric surface. I have read that the
difference in sharpness is minimal. The difference in look is not,
IMHO. It is my most used lens by far and most of my favourite pictures
were taken with it.
Frank