Subject: [Leica] Monster High-tech 50mm 1.4 from Sigma and everyone else - distortion now Nikkor 28/1.4
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Feb 8 16:42:37 2009

The 1.2 Noctilux was much much smaller than the later f 1 which I have.
A Summilux on steroids it seemed to me (when I met one) or a Noctilux left
in the dryer for a very long time after being washed in hot water it changes
the whole modus operandi reason for being je ne sais quoi of the lens's
reason for being.
And its gorgeous.
unfortunately its rarity is the the first issue.
The copies out there if you bought it from someone and you said you were
going to use it to shoot pix they'd be forced to kill you. It's in their
original buyers contract.
My hopes were with what we now know about optics the next version would give
me that balance again.
Those hopes were dashed to the ground then they went for even more speed
instead of usability.
Like threes a shot we're not going to get at .95 that we're not going to get
a f1 or f1.2.

Give me a compact F1.2 well corrected and balanced and watch it become a
part of the way a lot of very good photographers work every day.
They can still do that. The end of the world is not still at hand.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Monster High-tech 50mm 1.4 from Sigma and everyoneelse - distortion now Nikkor 28/1.4)
In reply to: Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Monster High-tech 50mm 1.4 from Sigma and everyone else - distortion now Nikkor 28/1.4)