Subject: [Leica] Summilux 35 Pre-ASPH on M8 -> To Gene
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun Feb 8 10:55:33 2009

At 9:37 AM -0500 2/8/09, Don Dory wrote:
>Not to hijack this thread but apparently Cosina is replicating the
>performance of the old 35 Summilux with their new offering.  Has anyone used
>it and any comments?

I didn't have the two together, but used the old Summilux for a long
time and now have the CV version. They're definitely not the same.
They each have their flaws, but the old Summilux has 'nicer' flaws as
far as I'm concerned.

The CV does not have as much coma and astigmatism (I don't know of
any lens that has as much) but it has considerably greater focus
shift. At f/1.4 the Cosina is probably a bit better in most respects,
but the lack of some of the aberrations of the old Summilux means
that you don't get the 'benefit' of them either.

When both lenses are at around f/5.6 or f/8, the Leica is of very
high performance, but the edges of the CV still aren't that
convincing.

I was hoping that the CV would be very much like the old Summilux, as
I liked that look quite a bit, but it isn't. I'll probably get rid of
it.

The thing that struck me most is the 35 CV is a lot different than
the 40/1.4 CV. The 40 is a much better general purpose lens as the
focus shift is a lot less, and the overall performance better
especially as you stop down. It's character is nothing like the
Summilux either, of course.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design