Subject: [Leica] Is the DOF using a digital sensor any differentthanthatof film?
From: leica at web-options.com (Bob W)
Date: Sun Feb 8 13:30:15 2009

Hi,

I've been away for a few days, so was not able to answer. I've read the
other replies, and Henning's is closest to what I mean.

To anwer your question myself, it depends on whether or not you use a
different value for the circle of confusion. The circle of confusion is not
a property of the lens but of the average human eye. Strictly speaking when
you use a different negative/sensor size you should use a different sized
circle of confusion. If you were to shoot something on a 35mm neg then take
a crop that is equivalent to a 4/3rds sensor you should, strictly speaking,
also change the c of c that you use if you want to measure the depth of
field.

Bob

Message from leica at web-options.com (Bob W) ([Leica] Is the DOF using a digital sensor any different than thatof film?)
Message from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Is the DOF using a digital sensor any different thanthatof film?)