Subject: [Leica] New 18 mm lens
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Feb 15 11:11:05 2009

Gene you're the only one on the internet to use the term "cheap" in relation
in any way to the Zeiss Distagon T* ZM 15mm f/2.8 lens a copy of which I'm
sure is sitting in a glass case in the Louvre; with invisible laser beams
all over the place.
My only thought of is that at Photokina you had jet lag. And funny lighting.
Or you were in the Diana booth by mistake.
It's fit finish and results get nothing but glowing reports from all I can
google.
A large photo of it is here it looks like Zeiss Hasselblad or Zeiss Contarex
to me.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/images62/zm15-pic.jpg
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/zeiss-m-mount.shtml

The fact that a Cosina lens might not have such a great build and finish
does not bother me. I use nikon lenses which cost 99 bucks and feel like
Barbie accessories. The image quality is most all I care about.
I use a Nikon lens made by Cosina, the 45mm 2.8P and its finish is at par
with Nikon though its price would assure this.

Cosina is an innovative company which gives Leica users added choices.
I'm glad they're around and use their stuff.

My smart money is on the finish and build of a real Zeiss made in Germany
mount or lens or Garlic press over one made by Cosina.

Read Herbert Keppler visits the factory in April 20006 and notice his Tilley
hat:

" Gone is the ryokan, replaced by a multistoried hotel. Gone, too, are the
Yashica, Olympus, and Chinon factories: to Asia or oblivion. But not Cosina,
which remains one of the few camera and lensmakers, manufacturing
exclusively in Japan."

" Kobayashi has gained something of a triumph with his 19?35mm f/3.5?4.5
lens, sold under the Phoenix, Promaster, Ritz Quantaray, Tokina, Tamron, and
Vivitar labels, all at the same time."

http://www.popphoto.com/blogsandcolumns/2307/speaking-frankly-the-contrary-m
ind-of-hirofumi-kobayashi.html

Mark William Rabiner