Subject: [Leica] Raptor fishing action
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Tue Feb 17 16:00:11 2009

Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

On Feb 17, 2009, at 2:10 AM, Gary wrote:

> A friend sent this link to me... Comments?
>

> http://www.miguellasa.com/photos/sspopup.mg?AlbumID=1001578

These are FANTASTIC action shots. I find them much more appealing
than the usual bird photographs where the subjects look like they
were stuffed and mounted in a museum. They imply that the
photographer had lightning quick reflexes, a camera with minimum
shutter lag, great focusing ability with a long telephoto lens, and
an almost infinite supply of film. Are any technical details
available for these photos, camera, lens, film or digital, location?
<<<<

The vast majority of wildlife photographers depend more on fast frame rates
than lightning quick reflexes or minimum shutter lag, keeping a cross-type
AF sensor on the subject and "sharpening" software instead of great
focussing ability (didja notice the sharp background and blurry bird photo,
and all the sharp tails and "sharpened" osprey heads?) and a fast
large-capacity memory card instead of film.  Go to any internet wildlife
photography forum and it's all about IS or VR, AF speed and the aperture the
lens needs to be to make the AF work acceptably fast, frame rates, and high
ISO.  Reflexes are a thing of the past, and the skills required now are more
in programming the camera and lens than in eye/hand coordination.  I'm not
intending to grump on anyone's photos, that's just how it is.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Kailua
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com) ([Leica] Raptor fishing action)