Subject: [Leica] Re: What recession?
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Feb 20 07:58:43 2009

Complaining about high Leica lens prices? Don't be a cheapskate.

Because of an inflated former job title, I am on the mailing list of
a magazine "Showboats International." This glossy rag features luxury
yachts costing upwards of $1,000,000. The pages are replete with 100
ft. plus boats, featuring interiors that would put Westminster Castle
to shame. Tucked amongst the ads for Rolex watches and executive jets
is one from an Italian pen maker, Tibaldi. Partnering with Riva, an
Italian classy runabout maker, Tibaldi offers an inlayed wood ball
point pen for a mere $3000. Come on now. It's a ball point pen that
probably doesn't write any better than a Bic.

One of the articles is an interview with a yacht owner, an aged man
sporting a nubile young female companion far too young to be his
daughter. Dangling from his shoulder, like a piece of jewelry, is a
Leica IIIf. The text of the article suggests that his hobby, in
addition to clipping coupons, is adorning his floating palace with
functional antiques - the best products from each era. The
centerpiece is a collection of old Leica cameras.

Obviously luxury yachting is one segment of the economy that the
world recession hasn't impacted. Boatyards specializing in
construction of yachts for the super rich are backed up for years.
Although a few have been caught, most of the Bernie Madoffs of the
world are alive and living on their floating pleasure domes off the
Cote d' Or.

So spring for that new 18 mm lens. Keep Dr. Kaufmann on his yacht.

Larry Z

P.S. I'm bitter because, as of this morning, my investment portfolio
has lost 50% of its former value.

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Re: What recession?)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Re: What recession?)
Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] Re: What recession?)