Subject: [Leica] Re: Advice needed
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat Feb 21 10:32:56 2009

I recommend against using any RAID for archival storage.

The reason for this is that RAID combines several disks into a single
logical volume, and the combining is done by proprietary electronics that
are not necessarily compatible with other brands of RAID or formats of RAID.

If you put images on, say, a RAID 5 array, the individual disks are not
readable without special software that you don't have. In order to read data
from a RAID 5, you need to have the same RAID controller that wrote the data
in the first place. Electronics are ephemeral. If the RAID controller dies
and you can't find a replacement, then it doesn't matter how much redundancy
you have on the disks themselves.

RAID 5 is great for day-to-day storage of things. It's what I use to protect
myself against short-term loss of data, and it gives a nice speedup, too.
But when I make an archival copy, I just copy files to a single hard drive,
connected with one of those Newer Technologies cables that Larry Z
mentioned, which I format as NTFS and not as Mac OS (because I figure that
50 years from now there is a higher probability that you'll be able to read
Microsoft-format disks than Apple-format disks).

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Re: Advice needed)
Reply from platoali at gmail.com (Platoali) ([Leica] Re: Advice needed)
Message from leica at ralgo.nl (leica) ([Leica] Re: Advice needed)