Subject: [Leica] Leica and leather
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Feb 22 11:52:33 2009

John Collier offered:

>>The other day I was yet again trying out an M8 and I wondered if

anyone has used an M8 with one of Luigi's half cases. My question is

not if it drives the opposite sex into a frenzy of barely contained

passion, no doubt a useful side effect, but whether it helps dampen

the noise.

I distressed the camera sales person no end but waving the camera

about while shooting -- even held it behind my back. The noise is

really only objectionable to the shooter. Held away and its just fine.

Short of waiting for my hearing to fail as my eyesight already has, I

was hoping the half leather case might take the edge off a bit.<<<<<<<<<<

Hi John,

I can't make any comment about leather, noise and lusting women. :-) But I,
like you, believe the shutter-winder noise of the M8 is more bothersome to
the photographer with it in hand, than subjects.

Besides we are more in tune with "listening for the noise" because it has
been bitched about by many. Therefore it makes all of us more attentive to
listening for it. or hearing it in an imaginary increased level. I recently
used mine during a concert by the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra and if one
wishes to live dangerously about noise with an M8 or any other "noise
related" camera. This is a location you will be "nuked on the spot for a
camera click!"

Shooting during a concert by an orchestra of this caliber where attendees
have amazing hearing in relation to every tiny breath, not one person
sitting around me said a word or gave me an annoying facial expression of an
unmentionable type, it would be very offending if spoken. :-) My wife was
sitting beside me and before the concert began I tripped a few frames to see
what her reaction was for sound.

Trust me this is a woman who has "RADAR HEARING ABILITIES!"  Her response?
"Nope didn't hear a thing!" When I made the first exposure during play time
I felt myself cringe as the shutter winder were doing their thing. Not a
head turned nor did hair stand on the back of anyone's neck! Other than my
own, as I expected heads to turn and fry me on the spot! :-)

My gut feeling is, far too many M8 shooters are overly concerned about the
"so called noise factor" than subjects. So far I've not had a complaint from
anyone about noise accept photographers themselves.

Dr. ted  "An avid M8 user!"

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com) ([Leica] Leica and leather)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leica and leather)