Subject: [Leica] Leica and leather
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Feb 22 14:02:17 2009

John, I have the Luigi half case. Subjectively it does reduce the shutter
recocking noise to my ears a little when holding the camera to my face. I
have asked people sitting two seats from me at a school concert if they
heard the shutter. They said no. I am still conscious of the noise and don't
use it in quiet periods.
Some of the perception is certainly in the photogs head (in both senses),
because the cameras is next to your head! Except for those concert
situations I have never been bothered by the operating noise nor been
noticed just because of the camera noise. That is different to the action of
raising the camera and pointing it of course. That applies to any camera.
No doubt you know there is an option to have a quieter shutter installed in
the M8 and it is standard in the M8.2. Only in the M8.2 can you control when
the shutter recocks after you take the shot though. Sadly an M8.2 here is
almost twice the current (discounted) price of the M8!

By the way people very often assume I have an 'old fashioned ' camera due to
the leather case and strap.