Subject: [Leica] Re: Bosch reliability
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Feb 22 18:50:55 2009

On Feb 22, 2009, at 5:49 PM, Jerry wrote:

> I didn't know what a reliable electrical system was until I bought an
> Alfa Romeo Veloce, with
> an all Bosch system.  Then Porsches for the next 45 years,  All Bosch,
> all good.

Reasonable men may disagree about everything but Leicas. I owned a
1959 Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce coupe with a body by Bertone. To my
mind one of the most beautiful automobiles ever made. The engine was
powerful, fed by twin Weber 40 DCOE carbs, and the brakes were
magnificent pieces of sculptured aluminum. But the Bosch electronics
sucked. The starter was obviously designed for Italian warmth. In
snowy New England it was necessary to park going downhill if you
wanted to start in the morning.. The undersized battery was in the
trunk and transferred its weak current to the engine electrics via a
10 foot long cable. A beautiful car, yes, but definitely for the
tropics.

The Alfa owners newsletter published a cross listing of Delco and AC
parts which would fit the Alfa. Nothing to replace the starter
though. Still, I loved that car. One of the best road cars I ever owned.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Re: Bosch reliability)