Subject: [Leica] Ritz Camera in Chapter 11
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Feb 24 06:12:02 2009

Ritz Camera, a chain of photo stores prominent in
the middle Atlantic states, filed for Chapter 11
protection today.  They cited as the primary
reason the failure of their film-processing
business.  Oddly, the Ewald-Clark chain in
Roanoke sold out to Ritz in 1999 after realizing
that its own film-processing business was in the
tank.  Ritz, though, seems to have come up
against the non-photo store threat:  most folks
having film processed today do so at Wal-Mart,
Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid, and the like.  I can
get a roll of miniature-format film run by
Walgreens for $5 including 4" by 6" prints (17,
547, 212 KiloKelvins, for the metric guys in our
midst and, yes, I grin!)  Hell, it is hardly
worth my while to resurrect the chemical darkroom
save for the control it allows me.

I hope Ritz gets out of its doldrums they were a
fair player in a lot of ways, though, again, they
screwed up when it came to selling gear, always
starting low and working up, where they should
have started at the high end and worked down.

So be it.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!