Subject: [Leica] Mortensen, was The Worst Photograph Ever Made?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Feb 26 13:47:04 2009

William Mortensen during an age when photography was coming into its own as
not a cheat to something that looked like real art and here he was doing all
those things that Adams and the rest had just chucked off. He was making it
look like "real art".
But sylistily there were bound to be people who had this preference.
In music you have composers writing classical music during the following
romantic period. Romantic & late romantic during the modern 20th century
period. There's no law that everybody has to be up to date right up to the
minute with what's going on.

But he spent his life doing it. Was a professional. Did work. Hung shows.
Sold prints. And survived. And his work evolved.
His client list was not short.
His work had integrity.
Just not the prevailing integrity.
Had more than his share of cheap shots thrown at him by people who in
photography knew a little and wanted to make it sound like a lot.
Not that there's a law that you have to like the guys stuff.

Mark William Rabiner