Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Machu Picchu, Day One
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 09:02:17 +1000

Tina I am REALLY looking forward to the book ;-)
I agree with Ken that a grey card shot is the most scientific way to get
that neutrality. Of course you have to use it and that depends on how much
and where you are shooting naturally. But even starting with that colour
temperature being nominally correct doesn't mean that you will get a photo
that looks right to your eye. A sunset is the classic example. You don't
want to correct it to 6500K. My impression on these is that looking at the
large areas of verdant green for example will certainly influence the
viewers perception of what looks 'right'. Then you've got the overcast
and/or sky and the UV levels and all of the rest of it. Very probably affect
any auto white balance functions in whatever Raw software too. In these I
would have started with your white shirt as well, I think. There's no one
correct answer is there?. Side by side you're bound to see different
interpretations. Maybe better to not drive yourself crazy and just process
them with one prog and method?