Subject: [Leica] 2x APO Extender & 280 f/4 APO?
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:05:05 -0400

At 10:51 PM 3/10/2009, you wrote:
>I'm thinking of simplifying my kit and using the 280 f/4 APO with a
>2x APO-Extender in place of the 560 f/6.8 Telyt... aside from the
>1/2-stop difference can anyone tell me how well this works?  I did a
>few controlled tests with a borrowed 2X APO on my 280 f/4 but had
>little time for practical field work with it.  I'd like to hear of
>any experience with this combination.
>
>Doug Herr

Doug,  I would be very surprised if you got as good results with the
2x extender and 280 as you do with the 560.  Extenders always degrade
to some extent. I think the 1.4x is slightly better than the 2x  but
neither would be as good as the 560 naked.  I've used the 1.4 APO
extender with the 400 and the 560 and never like the results.  Leica
does say that the 1.4 APO extender is designed for use with the 280
APO but also guarantees excellent results with the 400.  It could be
that the 280 APO is such a good lens that the extender won't matter,
but I'd be surprised.  Let us know what you think!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com