Subject: [Leica] Camera Shops in Chicago
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:06:58 -0500 (CDT)

On: Wed, 11 Mar 2009  "H. Ball Arche" <h_arche at yahoo.com>wrote:

>I used to spend time there back in the '80's. It's where traded in my first
>Leica (IIIf)to upgrade to the M2, DR summi,
>and Star-D tripod I'm still using. Part of the reason for spending hours in
>that cave was it took that long to get a
>salesman to deal with me. I guess I looked too much the part of a scruffy
>broke art student.
Does anyone else remember the side-by-side camera stores in Chicago, on
Wabash Ave?  Altman's was posh, with impeccably
dressed salesmen, neatly organized window and store displays, and an
atmosphere of  quality; next door, Wolk was a cluttered
mess,  cramped and noisy.  I liked shopping at Wolk's.  The only thing I
ever bought at Altman's (in 1968) was my first Leica,
a used IIIf BD with 50mm f/2 Summitar.

Unfortunately, when I began using it,  I discovered that the lens must have
been knocked around a bit by a previous owner.
One side of the frame always had double images.  I took it back to Altman's
under the  warrantee, and they sent it out for repair.
When I got it back, it was exactly the same, so I asked for my money back on
both the lens and camera.  They wouldn't believe
there was anything wrong with the lens, even though I brought negatives
along, so I ended up selling the body and lens to a collector
(I was too naive back then to just look for a good lens).

I bought lots of stuff at Wolk's with no problems (including, for $114.00,
a Nikon S2 with 50mm f/1.4 that I never should have sold to a friend!).
It was always more fun to shop in a treasure house like that.

Milwaukee also, used to have two photo shops next to each other; now there
aren't ANY real camera stores in the city proper.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Camera Shops in Chicago)