Subject: [Leica] very very short skirts ...
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:45:10 -0600

Kyle Cassify wrote:>I learned from Mary Ellen Mark years ago that
photography has much less to do with cameras
>and lenses than we tend to think it does and more with being able to talk
to people.

Well, she shot with Leicas, but I take her point.  I heard a lecture by
Magnum photog Alec Soth last week and he was making a similar point, saying
he had to overcome a natural shyness before he could progress with his work.
 Of course, he was using mostly 8x10 for portraits of people he had never
met, so talking was *really* important.  OTOH there are kinds of work where
it wouldn't much matter whether you could talk to people.  And then there's
Bruce Gilden. ;-)

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE