Subject: [Leica] Rewinding M6 without "R"-switch.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 09:09:35 -0700

Jussi Sallinen wrote:

> > Hi!

> > Another question..

> > Is rewinding an M6 possible without using the

> R-switch, cause I'm not sure if I did use it yesterday or

> not.  I guess it brakes something if I didn't use it?

> > M6 seems to work ok, so I might just been lucky and

> had used the R-switch.

> > ---Jussi Sallinen, +358 40 700 7600

> >              jussi at sallinen.name

> >         http://www.sallinen.name <http://www.sallinen.name/>

OK here's the quick fix for what probably is broken sprocket holes or you
tore the film off the take up spool.  MAYBE! or WHATEVER!

1/ Get an empty film canister with the top .

2/ go into a darkroom if you have one. Or a closet without any light leaks.
Preferably with some kind of counter to put things on so you can find them
in the dark.

3/ push the re-wind lever on camera for re-wind. Take the base plate off
camera "IN COMPLETE DARKNESS". Remember turn off the lights.

4/ if the film is still in the advanced film chamber under the advance lever
carefully get a hold of it and pull it gently out of the camera.

5/ When you have it out of the camera, carefully roll it up tightly so it
will fit in the canister.  Return into canister, put lid on tightly.

5a/if it is back in the film container just pull it out, put in canister and
don't forget to put the top on before you turn on the lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6/ Now turn the lights on and relax.

7/ If you do your own film developing, then get everything,  chemicals etc.
and whatever else you use ready to go.

DARKNESS!!!"

9/ Develop film  and there you go, done! Now you'll either have saved the
film? or completely screwed it up! If that is the case throw it away and try
not to cry to hard!

10/ If none of the above applies, read the Leica manual again and find out
what you did wrong and don't do it again!

So endth the lesson for today! :-)

You are not alone, you have lots of company!! As I've been there in this
film situation on any of the possible ways of breaking film, tearing
sprocket holes, tape letting go and have had to remove film in every
conceivable fashion.  Even in broad daylight at high noon with my camera,
canister, film container all wrapped in dark blankets kneeling on the ground
and still saved the film. If it's been possible to screw up getting film out
of a Leica, trust me I've done it!

I trust this may help.

Dr. ted