Subject: [Leica] New M8 Firmware 2.004
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 22:44:48 +0800

> Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 23:03:49 +1000
> From: Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] New M8 Firmware 2.004
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> Steve, well the sound is separated. If you select 'discreet' it does
> not
> recock until you release the button. However I was surprised that
> the actual
> recocking when separated is really just a very quiet buzz.
> Remarkable how
> different it sounds when it is separated from the first noises. The
> shutter
> open and close is considerably louder  than the buzz.  Can't
> complain when
> it is free though.
> I think that this will make little practical difference to people
> with the
> standard shutter. It will be a bigger benefit with the upgraded
> shutter
> (paid upgrade to the original M8). Of course the big driver is that
> many
> people requested that the new feature be made available to every M8
> not just
> the shutter upgraded ones. The M8.2 already has this as you know.

Steve, Geoff,
I had my M8 upgraded by Schmidt Hong Kong several months ago and today
installed 2.004 without a problem. I agree with Geoff's suggestion
that the changed shutter is now quiet
when separated from the wind-on buzz which is surprisingly noisy when
isolated.
I am pleased that Leica listened to so many and provided the upgrade.
Now, if we can
just get the noise out of the higher ISOs.
Cheers
Howard
(now back in HK and working on his Bali panos - stay tuned)