Subject: [Leica] Your thoughts on a Voigtl ä nder Lens: Response to Mark
From: grdalton at hotmail.com (Gary Dalton)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:41:56 -0700

You make an excellent point.

In the "29 posts" -- I hope you didn't take time to count them all -- the
subject of equipment certainly dominates, and there isn't a word from me or
a question from others about how a certain lens or lenses might drive what I
am interested in doing. So here are my notions.

I like to shoot people, up close in their environment, with substantial
background near and around them. I want the shot to grab enough of the
surroundings to tell the story of who they are, where they are, what
artifacts are in their environment, and what they're doing. I would like to
do a better job of this especially in tight quarters.

I like to take photos of urban settings:  I want that building, fountain,
plaza, park, intersection, etc. -- all of it -- not pieces of it. And, if
not a dominating feature, I want as much of that specific feature's
environmental context as possible.

I can say something similar about natural outdoor settings. Panoramas
interest me as do massive natural structures or living things. I want to
shoot all of El Capitan at sunset and include the trees, the sky, the
ripples Merced River in natural proportion in the same shot. I would like to
capture the desolation and the expanse of, say, a ghost town like Bodie, but
with the artifacts (buildings and mills, etc.) not lost in that expanse. I
want all of a Giant Sequoia.

Finally, and not related to the Voigtlander 21, I love macro work. Sticking
a macro lens down the mouth of a bearded iris for its brilliant colors,
shades, and shapes -- and whatever else might be inside. I'd like to take a
shot of a seed pushing out of the dirt, a bee in an almond blossom, and a
paper wasp constructing its nest.

Is that better, Mark? With respect to macro work with an M2, which lens
would you suggest?

> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:35:18 -0400
> From: mark at rabinergroup.com
> To: lug at leica-users.org
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Your thoughts on a Voigtl ? nder Lens
>
> Wide enough for WHAT!????
>
> No ones asking and your not saying.
> On a thread of 29 posts.
>
> Me I'm tired of my ball peen hammer I'm thinking of getting a framing
> hammer.... Its all so meaningless!
>
> A lens is a tool;
> Talk PHOTOGRAPHY!
> WHAT KIND DO YOU DO?????
> SUBJECT MATTER???
> URL for a gallery?
>

> Mark William Rabiner

Hotmail? is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Your thoughts on a Voigtl ä nder Lens: Response to Mark)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Your thoughts on a Voigtl ä nder Lens: Response to Mark)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Your thoughts on a Voigtl ä nder Lens)