Subject: [Leica] Image copy storage
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:31:35 -0400

On Mar 26, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Bob wrote:

> A piece in this morning's New York Times is worth considering:
>
> http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/should-you-worry-about-
> data-rot/?hp
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/de73hw
>
> Bottom line: As we have discussed before, maybe paper (Blurb books?)
> really is the best way to go for the important stuff.

I have some first generation LP vinyl records that sound just as good
on my modern digitally controlled turntable as they did on my $20
Columbia LP record player in 1950. I even have some 35 mm and 620
negatives from before that era that work just fine. But the point of
the article is quite correct. It isn't the media that is the problem
but the availability of suitable players. What current computer can
play my 8" or 5 1/2" floppy discs? Even playing 3.5" floppies is
getting more difficult. I even have some 2" floppies - a format which
never caught on. So a 5 to 50 year life span of CDs and DVDs,
assuming players are available, seems like an eternity.

Larry Z