Subject: [Leica] Visoflex question
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:00:29 -0400

At 11:23 PM 3/27/2009, Ken Frazier wrote:
 >On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 10:32 -0500, George Lottermoser wrote:
 >> you'll need to be specific
 >> as to which "longer" lenses
 >> for the experts to comment on
 >> which rings, modules, et. will
 >> get you where you want to go
 >
 >Here's what I have in the "longer" LTM lenses:
 >
 >Hektor 135/4.5
 >Canon 100/3.5
 >Elmar 90/4

Ken

Here is a primer on the Viso on LTM bodies.

You have two different families of reflex housings --

The original PLOOT and its successor, the
Visofliex (later, the Viso I).  These are
fascinating items but are more today for those
wishing to learn how photographers operated in,
say, 1949, than for practical use.  The Viso III only came in M BM.

The Visoflex II and IIa, both of which were
produced in LTM versions.  The IIa is rather rare
but the II is the most common of teh Visoflex
variants.  The Leitz catalogue code is
OUCLO/16458 (Viso II LTM with 90-degree
viewfinder), or OTYDO/16457 (LTM VIso II housing
alone) and OTXBO/16460 (90-degree VF alone).

The adapters needed depend on the reflex housing
used, but let us presume that you are going with a II:

4.5/13.5cm Hektor lens head (remove the head from
the lens tube)        OTZFO/16464 Universal
Focusing Mount with OTSRO/16472 lens tube.  Both
of these are readily available.

4/9cm Elmar lens head (again, remove the lens
head from the lens tube -- this will not work for
the late three-element Elmar, I believe)        OUAGO/16467

You could also use a Bellows II rig with the
supplied 16558 adapter for the 9cm Elmar lens
head., or with UOOVH/16580 for the Hektor lens head.

I haven't a clue about the Canon, not being
familiar with that lens, but I doubt that you'd
be able to maintain infinity focus with it.

These are not especially long lenses.  Many of us
using Viso rigs work with the 200/280/400 Telyts.

Marc

msmall at aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Ken Frazier) ([Leica] Visoflex question)