Subject: [Leica] OT: My Dad and SPAM
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 22:22:10 -0400

At 07:30 PM 3/28/2009, Gary Dalton wrote:

 >That's a great story!

My Dad had a fascinating year in Alaska.  There
are lots of stories.  I took Dad to his final
meeting with his guys at the 260th Artillery
Association meeting in 1995, and some of his
folks travelled just to see him again, after 53
years.  On a camera note, I do have the single
roll of 8mm movie film (Kodacrhome, of course)
which Dad managed to film in Alaska, with a
second reel taken during his prospecting trip
north of Fairbanks in '48.  And the movie
projector yet works, so I do watch these reels
from time to time.  (I do NOT watch the dozens of
reels shot of my sister and myself in our toddler
days!  Those, I will leave to my son.  HE can
watch them, after I am gone from this vale of tears.)

I probably ought to write up a monograph about
Dad's time of command of G/260th CA (AA).  All of
the principals are dead now.  I finally arranged
for Dad's ashes to be interred at Arlington in
2006, and the Regimental Adjutant showed up.  He
died ten days later.  I then corresponded with
Dad's XO, and he died three months later.

I'd like to have that one reel copied and given
to some archive but I will not let it out of my
possession.  So far, the military historians and I are at a stand-off.

Marc

msmall at aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from grdalton at hotmail.com (Gary Dalton) ([Leica] OT: My Dad and SPAM)