Subject: [Leica] Camera Show Report
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:58:48 -0400

Attended the Ft. Washington (PA) camera show today.  It was just
fascinating.

First, there were very few dealers present, only about a dozen, down from
about 20-30 from shows past.  On the other hand, it attracted the largest
crowd I've seen since the pre-'bay days-the entry line was snaking down the
hall during the setup period.  Most of those attending were trying to sell
equipment, and once inside the show queued up at the dealer tables who were
buying.

It indicates a few things to me:

1.       The economy must really stink, since so many photographers are now
unloading lots and lots of equipment for cash.

2.       The realization that digital had finally driven a stake through
analog's heart-and now it's time to bite the bullet and sell the 'blads and
Rolleis.

3.       A smart dealer could have a field day, if he/she knew what could be
sold quickly for more coin.  There was no shortage of supply.

I wandered around with my Canon Vt and Schneider 35 Xenon outfit around my
neck, mainly to start conversations.  Virtually every dealer asked me if it
was for sale-I replied that everything's for sale, but if I didn't get back
my investment in the two pieces I'd happily keep shooting.

One dealer insisted that I show him the camera and lens. I did, and he
returned the lens (with some disgust) saying, "I can't buy this lens-it has
wipe marks!"  I noted the same point could be made about him as well.

Jim Shulman

Wynnewood, PA

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Camera Show Report)