Subject: [Leica] IMG: Chicha Drinkers
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 18:52:38 -0500

More on Chicha:

"A Culinary Tradition
Traditionally, Inca women made this important drink by chewing corn to a
pulp and then spitting the mixture into a vat of warm water. These women
(actually girls of ages 8-10), called Acllas or Acllacunas, were sent to
all-female schools called Acllahuasis to learn the art of brewing chicha,
among other things.

Once the corn was masticated and spit into the warm water, it would sit for
a few days before it was ready to drink. The end result was a mildly
alcoholic beverage."

        Ok, I'm on board with teaching the women how to make beer, but time
to ramp up the technology :).  Just my 2c.

Ken

Read more: Chicha - Drink of the Incas: Latin America's Fermented Corn Drink
and the Fiesta de la Jora -
http://beverages.suite101.com/article.cfm/chicha#ixzz0BqjzZOR0