Subject: [Leica] Ultimate travel Tripod and matching case case
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 23:05:39 -0400

Jan,I have the GT-1550T.  It is a fabulous tripod for what it is.  After
having airlines hold my tripod hostage one too many times I bought the
Traveler.  It fits inside the top flap of my Domke so when I think that I
might want to take some 1/4 second exposures I can.  The head is plenty for
an M8 and lens of choice at any angle.  It might hold a D300 in a horizontal
placement but I wouldn't place too many bets.

I have several of the alternatives mentioned, they just aren't enough when
you really need to hold the camera still.  Price is relative; we are on a
list where the opening argument for a body is almost $3000.  Paying a fair
sum of money for a unique piece of kit that is absolutely guaranteed for
your lifetime is worth it if you can then take pictures when and where you
want to.

The arguments are sort of the same for buying fast lenses.  They are big,
heavy, expensive, and frequently not as good technically as the slower
versions.  But when you need 1.4 then 2.0 just doesn't work no matter what
the price or technical merits.