Subject: [Leica] 28 Elmarit F Mount update
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:16:45 -0400

A few months ago I did mounted a Leitax F bayonet on a late model 28
Elmarit in order to use it on a D700. The diaphragm arm on the lens
rubbed slightly against the adapter and the aperture didn't move freely.
Thinking the arm was metal I tried to bend it very slightly. It wasn't
metal but graphite. Rather than bend, it broke off. Oh well, live and
learn.

My rather expensive lesson taught me that it's better to file away at a
$100 adapter than mess with a lens costing several times that. Thus when
I got the fully repaired lens back I didn't so much as breath on it. And
happily I didn't even need to file out the adapter. The new diaphragm
arm didn't rub against the mount.

I'm pleased to say that the lens works remarkably well on my D700. I was
in Oregon over the weekend and played golf at Bandon Dunes, an
absolutely incredible experience (made even better by the fact that it
was one of probably 2 weekends a year where it was sunny, warm and the
winds calm.)
http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/pages/bandon_dunes/49.php

Golf carts aren't allowed on the courses at Bandon. It's walking only.
You can hire a caddy but I always carry my own bag (even on course that
allow carts). The first day I hauled my D700 with a 17-35 Nikkor in my
bag. I could really feel the extra weight and after one stout climb on
the back nine I'd wished I'd taken my Fuji P&S instead. Yet on day 2 I
carried the D700 and 28 Elmarit. It was much, much lighter. Probably not
M8 light, but that's another story.

Converting Leica R lenses to Nikon F mount may not be fore everyone, but
I'm very glad I did it.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] 28 Elmarit F Mount update)
Reply from david5stones at gmail.com (Red Dawn) ([Leica] 28 Elmarit F Mount update)