Subject: [Leica] 28 Elmarit F Mount update
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:18:53 -0400

David Teo wrote,

>>just a question, does the Leica R lens on the D700 require you to do
manual stop down of the diaphragm? Do you have to focus wide open then
stop down manually to the desired aperture before you shoot?<<

I use the 28 Elmarit in several different ways.

First I use it at wider apertures (f2.8-f5.6). I just focus at whatever
aperture it happens to be set at.

Secondly, I use it at F8 and set the lens to hyperfocal distance. Like P
for Professional mode, this is fast and requires little thought outside
of compose and shoot.

Thirdly, sometimes, yes, with static subject matter I'll focus at f2.8
and stop down, or I may even use live view to focus.

I use one of these three methods for 99% of the time (the first two
95%).

Focusing isn't as critical with a WA as it is with a tele, and it's very
rare that I'll look at something and feel like I missed focus.

I actually trust MF and the 28 Elmarit more than AF and my 17-35. Maybe
it's because when I use AF I don't pay attention to it. (After all, I
use AF so I don't have to devote attention, or I may as well use MF).
AF, as good as it is, can occasionally lock in a plane that defies (my)
logic.

BTW I set exposure mode to A. Exposure is nearly always right on the
money.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from david5stones at gmail.com (Red Dawn) ([Leica] 28 Elmarit F Mount update)