Subject: [Leica] Infrequent printer selection?
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:59:03 -0400

As much as I want to get a larger printer (and I may get one soon) I've
had great luck with my aging R800. I bought it several years ago and
immediately purchased refillable carts and 4oz bottles of ink from MIS.
It's really been a workhorse printer, capable of printing regular docs
to high quality photos from 4x6 to 8X10. (I mail order anything bigger.
I print hundreds of 5x7s, which for some reason is my favorite size
print)

After struggling with a lot of previous printers using all types of inks
and even several CIS systems I got lucky with the R800. The only problem
I've had is that not too long ago the printer wouldn't print. It turned
out that one of the chips on the refillable carts was bad. I replaced it
with a chip from an empty Epson OEM cart that came with the printer and
I still had. Much to my surprise I was able to reset the OEM chip.

The R800 runs cleaning cycles if it stands idle for a time. That uses
ink, but no big deal with refillable carts. I think the whole packages
of inks, carts and chips was just over $100. That included extra black
ink, glop, and carts for printing quadtone B&W. I still haven't used a
complete bottle of ink yet, though a couple are getting low.

I've never had a problem with clogging. I've refilled the carts at least
a dozen times. I fill two or three at a time, as they get low. It takes
about 10 minutes. That includes cleanup and running cleaning cycles. The
ink in a cart lasts one to three months depending on how much I print.
The only downside is that with newly filled carts I need to wait a few
hours before the test pattern is perfect to print photos. Running more
cleaning cycles doesn't work. Just waiting overnight seems to do the
trick.

DaveR