Subject: [Leica] PCMCIA adapter
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:02:40 -0400

On Apr 15, 2009, at 11:21 PM, Leo wrote:

> Is anyone aware of an adapter that will allow me to download a
> pcmcia card
> via a firewire or usb port?
> Can't seem to locate one.

The one I use was made by Lexar and cost about $25. The designation
is: Card reader/writer Model GS-UFD-20SA-TP.

It is about the size of a large deck of playing cards in a pretty blue
translucent plastic, made to compliment the original Bondi Blue iMac.
It has a permanently tethered USB cable coming out the back.
The device reads and writes PCMCIA cards and can also read and write
CF cards when using a CF to PC card sleeve. These cost about $15 at
most computer stores although you can buy them cheaper over the
internet. Many computers read and write PC cards directly, at least
those made 3 or 4 years ago did. All the Mac Powerbooks, except the
12" screen models, have a PC slot. So did the HP and IBM laptops.

If you can't find the Lexar adapter, try looking at the multifunction
card readers currently available. Some may accept PC cards.

Larry Z