Subject: [Leica] IMG : D-Lux4 - (was Lluis's Barcelona Bar)
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:57:10 +0100

The DLUX 4 is sharp, seems flare tolerant, doesn't have an accessory for
putting on filters though. It does macro down to 1 cm which is insane.
The image stabilaisation is great although I can imagine the
"discussions" over the choice of words because Panasonic call it
Mega-O-I-S Leica has dropped the "Mega" but I reckon they'd have been a
lot happier with "anti-shake". I have the accessory viewfinder for it so
that I can hold the camera to my eye and maintain eye contact with the
subject, but I don't like it, I've just bought a GR-V1 Ricoh accessory
viewfinder and that feels better. I find the leica one is just too
tailored for the 24mm end of the zoom with no markings for other focal
lengths, the Ricoh one has markings for 21 and 28mm but is "wrong"
possibly because of sensor size differences or formats, but inside the
28mm brightline is much nearer to 35mm which at least I can "imagine"
the angle. The trouble with digi-compacts is you end up holding them at
arms length and your subject is looking at your "eyes" while the photos
being taken two foot downwards.

A major flaw with the DLUX is that the zoom is "stepless" between 24mm
f2 - 60mm f2.8 (pretty much every else is f2.2 in between), I find this
irritating because I want to knock the zoom to telephoto once and have
it hop to the next focal length unless I ask it to otherwise (already
put in comments to Leica about this), because my wife's Ricoh does this
so I'd like the option in the next firmware update. Also it does not
retain focal length settings when you turn the camera on and off, I
prefer 28mm about 80% of the time and it hops back to 24mm, it has
multiple options for custom settings which is great but it still zooms
back to wide all the time, i'd like setting one to have 28mm stored
etc... The lens cap is okay, it takes me longer to drop my walking
stick  than take off the cap, it'd be useful if it has a lens hood, I
never had caps on any of my lenses except the Canadian 90mm f2 (with
tripod mount superbly sharp as well as the clumsiest lens ever made
IMHO), the built in hood on that lens would slide down if placed in a
Domke, I had the square hooded 28mm and the 35mm f1.4 with the cuts out,
some kind of clip on on the 50mm. Anyway, it would be better if the
D-Lux could have a hood. I have the handgrip on order as I used to use
the M6's with them, one with a grip machined in america before Leica
started making them.

If you haven't seen it, it is tiny, which is good for me as I can't
carry an M6 any more, it 294 grams with the external viewfinder and
battery. The buttons aren't that fiddly to use, there's program shift
which I have biased towards f5.6, aperture priority, it has "intelligent
iso" that biases the iso selected towards reducing camera shake and "ISO
Auto" that seems to bias it towards quality. It's got spot metering and
9 ? segment AF but I have it jammed on the centre high speed AF and
multi-zone metering, I trust it to set the exposure and trust myself to
override it. A good thing is the shutter dial has a big difference in
indentation between SCN (scene mode) and custom mode, so it can be used
in total darkness and set to whatever settings are needed. Might sound
stupid to some people but I am learning the camera by touch in the dark,
which is exactly what I did with the M6's and comes in useful at the
theatre or stuck in a gloomy Moroccan toilet with a load of marijuana
and some jittery armed Tauregs.

Because of the external viewfinder it is Leica "like", colour rendition
certainly is, at the end of the day it's a small compact with a sharp
fast wide lens and macro facility so it ticks all the boxes unless you
like long telephoto shots.