Subject: [Leica] Picture of the Year Controversy
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 22:43:46 -0400

This raw file when opened in ten different computers would look ten
different ways depending who owns the computers so called default settings.
Some would be dark or light flat or too snappy.

Group f/64, Ansel Adams and plenty others used dark green and red filters on
their landscapes and no one called them unrealistic.
As matter of fact they were known to be the opposite of unrealistic.
Landscapes are where people pull the stops out a bit and go for the gusto.
They go for contrast, as much separation as they can get of tones so you can
see the darned thing.
Besides on an off day you can walk out your door or get out of your car and
see a sight, a landscape which is really surreal.
Just take a trip cross country lasting a few days or week.
You are bound to run into some amazing sights you didn't think existed in
nature.

No one knows what this guy was looking at when he pointed his camera at this
view. How much he jacked it up if at all. I say it was maybe not all that
much at all.

There's a deluge out there now I'm in NY I just got drenched in it those
little umbrellas don't always do the job.
And lightning effects. And thunder effects.
Get someone to hold your umbrella and get some shots of this at night;
Its a huge resource of under done and very amazing images.
People are lazy. They don't want to get their cameras wet.
Few films are ever shot on a dry street.
First thing happens is the water truck goes by.
Then they yell "action".

Which means pictures which move.
The new frontier.
Ask Willard Van Dyke.