Subject: [Leica] Picture of the Year Controversy
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:41:55 -0400 (EDT)

Philip Clarke wrote:

>Thank you for the explanation, as I read the articles on shooting to the
>right it appears that one must be experienced enough to know when there
>is detail in the overexposed areas that will still be captured (I'm not
>that experienced) and retrieved using the RAW data by then
>"underexposing"  from the suggested values (this is based on some tests
>and articles on ACR), regardless I do acknowledge the immense skill
>involved to manipulate an image in this way and to avoid clipping.

I use the histogram to avoid clipping the areas where I want detail.  I
don't care what it's called, I'm just trying to get as much highlight &
shadow detail into the picture as possible.  With the DMR I can pull a lot
of detail out of the shadows but once highlights are clipped they're gone.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com