Subject: [Leica] Technical Question Film Processing
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:37:22 -0400

At 09:22 AM 4/21/2009, you wrote:
>First, it is filled with dust spots, even though my basement is clean.  Any
>thoughts on how to avoid this?  I hung the film to dry from a ceiling
>rafter, with clips at top and bottom.

I used to have a darkroom in the basement.  It's the worst place
because all of the dirt filters down from upstairs.  You can get a
film dryer - which is like a plastic tube with a heater in it - or
you can use something like a garment hanger - to hang the film where
no dust can stick to it.  If nothing else, hang a piece of plastic
above where you dry the film.  Dust that dries in the emulsion is
almost impossible to get out.

>Second, I had streaks across the film, even after a five-minute wash cycle
>with photoflo.  Sample of the "syllabus of errors" at
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/focusit/george+records+2+sm.jpg.html (and
>this after considerable photoshopping).

Don't use much photoflo.  One drop is plenty - more causes
streaks.  I use my fingers to run down the film until there are no drops
left.

Good luck!  I'm sure you'll enjoy film developing when you get the kinks out.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com