Subject: [Leica] Adox ATM49
From: johnbeeching at gmail.com (John Beeching)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:32:03 +0100

Dear All,

It is a pleasure to hear people talking about film and developers rather
than the latest plastic digi-wonder.  I have tried digital cameras, I use
them at work, but they are too complex for what I like to do, my wide angle
lenses cease to be so and I don?t end up with something tangible in my hands
like film. On prints the grain I get from my Tri-X negatives is like the
brush strokes on canvas; certainly I don?t want to add that with a bit of
software.  My approach to film developing is developer in distilled water,
final rinse in distilled water plus photo-flo and hang in the shower.

Usually I use Tri-X in Xtol, though I occasionally experiment with other
things.  Recently I have been using Adox ATM49 at a 1+2 dilution and a time
of 14 minutes at 20 degrees; the time could possibly be cut back a bit
further.  The results I like very much; they have more ?guts? to them than
Xtol-developed negatives, more like the old Tri-X in D76.  I have two litres
left, enough for 20 more rolls; at that point I will decide whether or not
to carry on with it.  For the time being I like it.  Has anyone else tried
this developer?

While small JPGs are not much good for evaluating the results, here are some
examples with not claim to artistic merit:

http://johnbeeching.com/ATM49/album/index.html

John

--
John Beeching