Subject: [Leica] What is an "archival slide"?
From: piers at hemy.org (Piers Hemy)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:10:10 +0100

It depends.

My recollection of a study bu US archivists is that if you need a slide that
with the greatest life when projected, Ektachrome is best.  If you want a
slide with the greatest un-projected life, then it's Kodachrome.

To put it another way, Ektachrome last longer than Kodachrome when used in a
back-projection display panel, but Kodachrome lasts longer than Ektachrome
when stored in a cool dark dry place.

In my own experience with 50 year old slides of various types (both the
above, Agfachrom, Gevacolor, Anscochrome, Ferrania, Perutz etc), Kodachrome
is the *only* one worth considering.

HTH