Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Children of the World
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:48:33 -0700

On Apr 15, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Tina Manley wrote:

> PESO:
>
> This time of year I get asked to speak at a lot of schools about
> children and photography.  This year instead of doing my usual slide
> show, I printed 40 17x14 prints and plan to hold them up and talk
> about them.  I put jpegs of them up on pbase:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/children
>
> I'm speaking to classes from kindergartens on International Day to
> Career Day at community colleges.  The little kids connect to the
> photos better when there is eye contact with the subjects so
> probably 90% are looking directly at the camera.  Probably 90% are
> also made with Leicas and the majority are film.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments, criticisms, and suggestions.

I just returned from a short trip to France...
I clearly missed a lot here, it seems the LUG has been busy, like a
giant inexorable glacier...
teeming with controversy and fascinating discussions...

and regarding your photos Tina, I find them wonderful, and absolutely
right for their stated purpose...kids will love them...

I bring no agenda, and I certainly left with none.

I do find that in spite of the obvious differences in your subjects,
these photos of children will connect with a young audience, not
because of differences, but very much in spite of them... the feeling
that comes from your work so very appealing to children is the
sensation that kids are the same the world over...this will really
move your young audiences...

Steve