Subject: [Leica] OT Re: was Prom Prep now dogs
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:26:35 +1000

I've never heard the term, Australian shepherd!
Mark I think you mean a 'blue heeler" the names comes from one of their
dominant coat colours obviously but also from their herding technique with
cattle and sheep, nipping at their heels.

Colloquially we call them cattle dogs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Cattle_Dog
Border collies are prominent in shepherding skills too and popular pets here
too. Lovely animals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Collie
The border part is from England's borders.
Actually our family pets are Border Terriers who got their border name from
the same place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Terrier
I believe another one by the name of Tilly has joined the LUG just very
recently.

So there you go, today's off topic dog discussion for those interested.