Subject: [Leica] G10
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 03:06:03 +0100

There is two sides to every story (I'm talking about image quality). I
have a friend, he's a sport's photographer (international) and he spends
about ?16,000 a year on equipment (this was more before the British
pound collapsed). His theory which has been borne out by the awards he
received, was that he needed to best equipment *always* because if the
pictures passed over a pcture editor's desk and one was slightly
sharper, slightly more pleasing colour rendition, then that would be the
published one. Now we know that picture editors are well versed in image
quality even if they don't always make the correct decision on cropping
or chose our preferred image.

The flipside to this is that the shuttle challenger disaster, was screen
grabbed from a TV screen about 640x480 resolution and made full front
page everywhere, the Pulitzer Prize winning Oklahoma bombing picture is
cropped to 2/3 of the image size

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=Charles+Porter+oklahoma+&btnG=Search+Images

and it's negative film. The 7/7 bombings and the execution of Carlos de
Menezes were documented on CCTV and people's mobile phones.

The managing director of the newspapers I was working for, came into the
  photographer's area and said "we're going digital" every photographer
argued that at the time the resolution was poor the camera's were heavy
and expensive. He said he really didn't care, with the "splat factor" on
the paper the images were not detailed, and then stated the Challenger
as an example.

I have the D-lux 4, I do think it's overpriced especially if one is
shooting RAW, it has the apertures and focal lengths I like and at all
speeds and apertures it is better than any DSLR up to 2001 including the
Nikon D1x, it has shutter lag, it's high speed autofocus is not, but it
still works. The lens suits my style, if the G10 had an f2 lens I'd hae
got that. We forget that image stabilisation gives better quality images
now at lower speeds without the need to resorting to flash. My opinion
is that if the G10 has the desired lens to suit one's style, Vacuum it,
work out where the dust gets in and stick a bit of tape over it (if it's
the lens barrel retracting then that's a bit unfortunate). The Sigma
DP-1 is a great camera but it's slow/ noisy in use hasn't got a lower
speed than 800. One thing not mentioned (I think) is the dpreview for
"enthusiast" compacts

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup/ **SPOLIER at end of
EMAIL **

One could also mention that in an emergency, there are now 8 million
pixel telephones available. In a one off, a picture editor would choose
the best image even if it were a bit noisy. Most sudden news events
reported by amateurs do not tend to be covered by pros carrying ?16k of
equipment and even then it my be possible to get a better shot.

Just my 2p.

Philip.