Subject: [Leica] FW: Friedlander & Madonna: Switcheroo..
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 11:00:58 -0500

Well said Douglas.
I find the knee jerk, negative reaction to blatant human sexuality,
paradoxically, both understandable [because of cultural taboos] and
odd [because of my personal appreciation of beauty].

Does anyone think this is not a a well composed rectangular frame of
a beautiful young woman in her prime?
I assume that if she wore jeans some, who object, would find it a
beautiful photograph.
So does it come down to "we're not supposed to see [or be shown]
human genitals in photographs?"
It's okay to photograph the horrors of war but not the beauty of
sexuality and human desire?
Then take the judgement so far as to judge the model a "slut?"

If this image were a beautiful drawing or painting would some of the
objectors have a less prudish reaction?
Most painters and sculptors, we now admire as historically "best,"
have similar poses in their body of work.
Is the photographic medium just too "real" for reality?

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com