Subject: [Leica] 8 or 8.2
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 00:29:06 +0100

"Mark Rabiner" <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote

> We hear about the guy who has 60 cameras now but we don't here about the
> guy
> who has 60 prints.
> If someone in town here said to me they had 60 prints I'd say to them;
> Edit them down to 25 and we'll meet and have coffee I'll bring as many
> myself!! We'll pour SWEET AND LOW on them make the crunchy!
> Brown tone a few with residual coffee grinds.
>
> 60 prints, in this case one print per camera, would be too much to drag
> around from Starbucks to Starbucks;

Well Mark, I actually do have about 30 16 x12 prints as they're images I've
entered in club competitions. Some I should tear up, some I'm happy with,
but find it hard to rip up something that I've paid to get printed! That's
why I'm setting up my own darkroom so maybe I won't be so reluctant to rip
up my own output in future. I'm still shooting and hunting for perfection
but I don't use the 60 cameras.

I've just accumulated a lot of them as I find it hard to say No to buying
them at the low prices these days, and I also like the mechanical
sensuousness of holding older cameras. Mind you, I do also lend them out to
digibound others so that they can try to ease back on the "shoot away &
delete later" syndrome and savour planning the captured moment. A lot of
people who have just got into photography through digital are buying older
film cameras now. Just have a look at some of the special interest groups on
Flickr and the like.

Oh, and I hope the Starbucks over there is better than the crappy mass
market Starbucks we have over here in Ireland. There's one across the street
from my work but I walk past it to go to the independent opposition!

Douglas
_________
Douglas Barry
Bray, Co. Wicklow