Subject: [Leica] IMG: Raptor portraits
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 21:03:52 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Steve Barbour wrote:

>hi Doug...what does the term imprinted mean, and the connection of
>this to the condition of being non releasable?

It means the bird was raised by and has no fear of people (usually described
as "the bird thinks it's a human").  It's not releasable because the bird
wouldn't keep its distance from malicious humans and would also freak people
out when it flies up and expects a piece of your sandwich.

Wherever possible rehabilitators try to minimize contact with birds they
expect will be releasable.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com