Subject: [Leica] Tripods v iPods
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 11:14:23 -0600

Mark Rabiner wrote:Every time I use a tripod, a resin one now, I kick myself
for not having
used one earlier. And more often.
I find them a freeing experience and inspiring and enabling of pix with
greater authority and formality.

Mark, you keep your tripod and I'll keep my iPod and we'll both be happy.
;-)  But I agree with you on the topic of external viewfinders -- love 'em.
 As far as having two windows instead of one, for me viewing and focusing
are two different things so two windows is fine, and you are so right about
zone focusing.

Back to the iPod -- I use mine a lot for reading books and newspapers.  I
have around 25-30 books installed, including all of Homer, Origin of
Species, Paradise Lost, and a bunch of other classic (ie, out of copyright)
goodies, all free.  Newer books are usually $.99 a download.  I also DL the
NYT every day as well as USA Today -- both free.  Another free app lets me
see showtimes for every movie in town, watch previews, and read multiple
reviews.  But probably the thing I like most (besides email) is that I have
Google in my pocket at all times (where there's wifi).  Show me a tripod
that can do *that*. ;-)

Another useful thing with iPod/Phones is that you can have all your online
photos with you even when you're not on wifi -- there's another app for
that.  I was recently in DC and found it useful to be able to pull up a
photo for friends without having to look for a connected computer.

And all that without sticking anything in my ears!

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE