Subject: [Leica] Photoshop CS 3 to CS 4 Upgrade Worth It?
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 09:13:54 +1000

Bob only you can do the sums of course. I did the upgrade and like the
improvements. I only just got LR2 later to improve my cataloguing and
ingestion especially.
I partly got the upgrade to be able to keep getting the latest Camera Raw
upgrades. As you have LR2 that may not matter so much for you. The ACR
improvements were really the driver for me. There are some great new tools.
There are a lot of Ps interface improvements though. I especially like :
The tabbed windows when you have multiple pics open. Plus the quick window
arrangements options and workspaces
The smooth zooming and rotating (as long as you have a recent video card)
You might have to budget for a new card.
The adjustment panels layouts and options especially the adjustment layer
presets.
There are a lot of others for example for people doing panoramas and image
blending etc that I don't use. I know that Howard in Hong Kong is very
pleased with the panorama possibilities.
Bridge is much improved as well, although you'll weigh that against how you
use LR too. Its also completely stable now in my case, but I can't document
causes for previous problems I had there.

Although the Raw engine is the same in ACR and LR for detail edits and
especially bw conversions you get more options by still having Ps available
as well as LR.

Why don't you try the 30 day free trial? It won't delete your CS3 install
(although I'd make sure I had a backup naturally).