Subject: [Leica] HIGHLY TECHNICAL QUESTION?
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:37:01 -0400

Congratulations, Dr Ted! That is actually a very subtle and incisive
question.
The answer is rooted in quantum mechanics, information theory, and the
notion
that information, like matter and energy, is never destroyed. There
was a prolonged
and passionate debate in the physics community on this question. It
was feared
initially that when matter falls into a black hole, its information
content is lost, to
the great consternation of many physicists. It seemed as egregious a
violation of
fundamental physics as a violation of the conservation of energy. But
clever
insights and analysis finally saved the day. Check out The Black Hole
War by
Leonard Susskind, or at least James Trefil's Washington Post review of
the book at
Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Hole-War-Stephen-Mechanics/dp/0316016411/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242872534&sr=8-1

So wherever the pixels go, in some fashion their information is never
lost to the
universe?no matter how good your memory scrubber is! The question is,
where
do the pixels go?oh, but that's what you asked, isn't it?

That's my circular explanation.

?howard

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] HIGHLY TECHNICAL QUESTION?)
Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] HIGHLY TECHNICAL QUESTION?)