Subject: [Leica] M8 Sharpening filter use - was: full sized samples
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:54:34 -0400

Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

Doug,
You are still missing the point. I do not have to try one at all. I am
sure it is a fantastic camera, and we all know the quality of lenses
available. I trust all of you when you say what you do. But when
someone says that it is better because it saves him adding a layer of
sharpening, I have to laugh! BTW, I have yet to see moire in the Nikon
D300 I shoot, and as you know, I shoot a lot of stripes (-: !!
<<<

I'm not missing the point at all.  I'm not saying that the AA filter is the
road to ruin, all I'm saying is that it's a compromise and that excellent
image quality can be also obtained via other compromises (which the M8 or
DMR is, like any engineering design).

I also believe that the list would be a poorer place if criticism were
shouted down.  OTOH we have the experience of several who have used both
types of camera systems and I'll take the results of their empirical
comparisons, all consistent with each other, over what appears to be an
emotional defense of a camera system choice.  Nobody is shouting you down,
but if you wish to compare your system of choice with another, then using
both systems would make your comparison more reasoned.  Without actual
experience using both systems, an argument for or against one system or
another seems more emotional than reasoned.  Not that emotion is bad, after
all we're trying to create an emotional response to the viewers of our
photos.

Regarding the moire issue, I've never seen it in mammals in photos from my
DMR, even mammals with stripes.  It's the fine feather detail of birds that
can cause the problem.  For the DMR it's worst with the California Quail;
coincidentally (or not) it's in photos of the California Quail where I've
seen moire problems with the D200.

My argument is not about the capture device, but about the final
output. I have plenty, and I mean dozens of actual holdable prints
taken with a M8, and as you know I have a few of yours taken with a
DMR. I cannot see a difference up to A3 size ( which is all I have)
between a Leica, or a Nikon, or a Canon. Whether this entails a little
more PP, or a little less PP is totally besides the point. Maybe at
larger sizes it might be apparent, but I cannot say as I have not seen
Leica digital prints of those sizes (I have seen dozens of prints
taken with Nikon & Canon, and I cant make out differences between
equivalent bodies there either).
<<<

Then it seems we're addressing different points.  I'm don't have a problem
with your emphasis on the final output.  The point I was trying to make is
that Mark's aversion to the M8's crop factor is not based on a reasoned
comparison.

I remember being almost lynched on this group when the M8 came out
saying that it was very expensive for what it offered.
<<<

I don't recall seeing any nooses posted in anyone's photos.  But please
recognize that a reasoned comparison is not the same as an emotional one.

Doug Herr
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
walk softly and carry a big lens

mail2web.com - Microsoft? Exchange solutions from a leading provider -