Subject: [Leica] Salgado now great image/camera ?
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 11:05:24 -0400

George,

Good point. It's not practical to do much micro dodging or burning in a
4x6.

I've always been somewhat fascinated by print size; more specifically
why some images work better printed smaller, and others work better
printed larger. Sure there are general rules, like large negs make
better large prints, but there are factors that go well beyond that.
I've seen gorgeous 5x7 contract prints. I've seen gorgeous 24x36 inch
prints from 35mm.

Making large prints from small negatives isn't easy (and it's not
something I've ever been good at). The margin for error anywhere along
the workflow is slim.

I'm referring mainly to BW film. There's nothing like a big enlargement
of a well composed, well focused, well developed, well enlarged 35mm
Tri-X negative. There's a character -- due to grain or other factors --
that can't be duplicated with digital. Or maybe it can and I've just not
seen it.

A really good image, though, will work in just about any print size,
although most negs have technical limits. If a 16x20 from 35mm looks
good, someone is doing everything right.

DaveR