Subject: [Leica] Salgado now great image/camera ?
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 13:21:20 -0400

One of the past criticisms of photographs was their inability to dominate a
wall like large paintings.  The notion is that the very large image removes
the photographers relationship to the subject so the viewer can have a more
personalized relationship (I think I got that right?).  Which is what
modern painting seems to accomplish.  Ansel had tried his hand with making
very large photographs that looked like his normal size images from the
appropriate distance.  The result was a very different technique then the
one he normally used.  From afar the images look like typical Adams but up
close they are less then ideal.  Unlike say a Pollak which can be enjoyed
up close as well as from afar.  Adams technique would be well worth
studying for clues into psychological response to image viewing. This was
also addressed via photo collage and today this is being conquered by Jeff
Wall, talk about ontology, and others with digital high res scanning and
printing.   Now technology allows very large wall dominating photographs
which can also be enjoyed up close in detail.

At 11:05 AM 6/2/2009, you wrote:
>George,
>
>Good point. It's not practical to do much micro dodging or burning in a
>4x6.
>
>I've always been somewhat fascinated by print size; more specifically
>why some images work better printed smaller, and others work better
>printed larger. Sure there are general rules, like large negs make
>better large prints, but there are factors that go well beyond that.
>I've seen gorgeous 5x7 contract prints. I've seen gorgeous 24x36 inch
>prints from 35mm.
>
>Making large prints from small negatives isn't easy (and it's not
>something I've ever been good at). The margin for error anywhere along
>the workflow is slim.
>
>I'm referring mainly to BW film. There's nothing like a big enlargement
>of a well composed, well focused, well developed, well enlarged 35mm
>Tri-X negative. There's a character -- due to grain or other factors --
>that can't be duplicated with digital. Or maybe it can and I've just not
>seen it.
>
>A really good image, though, will work in just about any print size,
>although most negs have technical limits. If a 16x20 from 35mm looks
>good, someone is doing everything right.
>
>DaveR

Chris Saganich MS, CPH
Senior Physicist, Office of Health Physics
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018 at med.cornell.edu
http://intranet.med.cornell.edu/research/health_phys/
Ph. 212.746.6964