Subject: [Leica] Why sharpen?
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 06:26:13 -0700

Originally film did require sharpening. Even when it was competing
with the earlier traditional, and primogenital, media like painting.
The first solution was to change the sensitizing component, of which
there were initially many. Secondly, photography forced the
industrial goose to lay a better egg in the field of optics. All
combine to provide what we call elements of resolution.
The last, and really great, tomes to address these earlier questions
of techn? were published by Ansel Adams. Though it should be
acknowledged that he used his chapter in the Graflex manual of
photography as a spring board for those latter publications.
S.d.